Monday, May 1, 2017

Dard bhare nagme

Sadness ( Dard ) in Music Music has immense ability to change one's mood and behaviour. 
I learnt this lesson on Saturday night. we were called for rehearsal in Kalrav Orchestra. The atmosphere in the studio was quite jovial, all were laughing and exchanging smart smiles.I was given three options , but I selected this on my own ," Aansu bhari hai ye jeevan ki raate " sung by Mukesh of the film Parvarish because I had heard it twice that day ! One stanza was over, in the second stanza I started becoming emotional , went near the screen and sang as the character demanded.
When I completed the song, peace prevailed, no applause. I was horrified, as looking to the score I achieved it was truly a praise worthy attempt. But the silence of the singers , all were singers, baffled me.
I sat near out Composer , he said, " Did you mark the sadness on faces of your colleagues ? They have acquired sadness on their faces on account of your song, This was really a heart moving song ". I looked on the singers, it appeared a cloud of sadness had descended on their faces and they felt same sadness , dard , as was felt by the character Raj Kapur, on the screen. If that was the impact of the wordings and the music and voice on the singers, what would be the effect on ordinary people ?
The jovial mood of the singers did not return up to the end of the session. At last the Guruji said, " Always remember to sing songs of happiness and joy.Sad songs make audience sad, that we do not want.
I remembered a dialogue between Madan Mohan and Lata mangeshkar. after seeing many sad compositions from Madan Mohan sahb, she told him, " Why that your Music is packed with so much sadness ? Tere Music mein itna dard kyon hai ? "Madan Mohan stared at her only. I knew from where my sadness came .

Like
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment